View Single Post
Old 08-06-09, 08:30 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I can not remember ever making a reservation for a campsite or room while on tour. Traveling in a self-sufficient manner means to be prepared to adapt to changing and uncertain circumstances. This uncertainty has led to many positive interactions with local people helping me solve my problem or defaulting to stealth camping depending on the situation and location.

Police, church ministers and local tourist offices have helped me at times in various countries around the world. I have slept at train stations or ferry docks, behind police stations or army barracks as well as often in local people's homes or backyards.

The fear of no place to stay often triggers our western need for complete certainty and control at all times with a secure reservation in hand. Flexibility is the key to relaxing and enjoying some of the uncertainty and chaos offered by the bike touring experience. I tour to have an experience different from my normal predictable home life.