View Single Post
Old 08-06-09, 10:12 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have happily used the Shimano SPD sandals since they first appeared. I use the 47/48 size. They have been durable and comfortable for riding and walking although the cleat can slide or slip on debris while trail hiking. The cleats have been very durable lasting years of daily use.

The latest model is an improvement over the original one with a better tread pattern and more comfortable foot bed. They are much stiffer than other normal shoes but not as stiff as my biking shoes but quite adequate. The three Velcro straps hold the foot to the pedal very well with little lost effort even standing up.

My feet sweat so I find that using a short thin sock makes for a more comfortable ride and prevents sunburn on the top of my feet.

I used them on the Divide Ride as an alternative to my mtn bike shoes. I have not toured solely with the sandals but see no reason why they would not work well for you.

Last edited by arctos; 08-06-09 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling