View Single Post
Old 08-09-09, 09:49 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfjimc
The Lemond method seems to be a bit off. I'm 6'5", 33" inseam and ride a 61cm Motobecane CF frame. Fits me perfectly. He's going to have to go a bit bigger on the frame to get a decent seatpost height, then swap out the stem for a shorter one. Probably a 64cm or 65cm. I built it up Motobecane using the components I wanted. It was a great deal on a cf frame.
People dis BD all the time, but they build nice bikes at a great price, There are lots of trolls that get hung up on the advertising and the fact that they bought some classic brands and put them back on the market. None of that changes the quality.

Here is the actual Lemond formuals:
BIKE FRAME SIZE (in cm) = Inseam (cm) x .67
SEAT HEIGHT (cm) = Inseam (cm) x .883

For a 94.9cm (37.4in) inseam that comes out to a 63.6cm frame.
Larger riders (6'0"+) will probalby want a frame that allows them to stretch out better, they may be better off selecting a frame 27-28cm less than their inseam length. In general, this will be a cm or two larger than the frames the formula recommends. In the OP's case, he has a short torso so he may want to stick with the formulas recommendation.

All of this is why anyone getting a bike should go to a bike shop and get fitted before buying a bike!!!!!!!

The OP should take the measurements he has (if they are from a fitter) and find a bike/frame that meets those requirements and go from there. Most main stream bike mfgrs make good quality bikes/frames. Once you have the bike narrowed down by your personal geometry then it's just a matter of choosing the component package that you can afford.

Last edited by Homeyba; 08-09-09 at 10:16 AM.