Old 08-09-09, 09:54 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
i do watch for tail lights, ppl in cars is abit hard to do imo...this was my first time attempting "real winnipeg downtown biking". i guess i could have been more in the lanes but being my first time doing a/"the" major route in my city i was being a bit more cautious cuz i really didnt believe i could cut being "in the lanes" so i bike like i usually do, sticking to the shoulder which usually does me well.
i did learn the the door opener is always the one at fault. she was really nice tho about the whole thing and very helpful, they were about to go for a wedding dress fitting for her friend with her. i hope this is all the bad luck they experience through the whole thing
I know that you felt like you were being more cautious, but you were actually being incautious. Going by your hunches or feelings will sometimes get you in trouble. Your hunches probably tell you that the most dangerous thing on a busy street is getting run over by a car coming from behind you. But on a bike, you're more likely to be doored, or get hit by a car turning into your path. This is why almost all experienced riders do ride out more into the traffic lane, where they can see and be seen.

Remember, when cars hit bikes, it's almost always because the driver did not see the bike, not because he/she saw it and hit it anyways.

As for the driver being at fault, this is true. But still, since it's so simple for a cyclist to avoid 100 percent of doorings, why not do it?

"Think Outside the Cage"