Old 03-01-05, 11:37 AM
UWengineer

Bikes: '82 Bianchi, '86 Bianchi, '93 Masi Team 3V, '00 Litespeed Classic, '04 Heron Wayfarer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen the LFP PD out there relatively frequently during the warmer months. Seems to have stepped up after the City's hearings on what to "do" about the TRail. Last I heard, they had established some kind of panel at the Mayor's request to investigate. Prior to that, they had decided to let the Trail fall into disrepair through LFP. It had been determined that the current path does not meet current standards for safety and access, or some obscure environemntal protection standards (too much paved area, or some such thing--thus the suggestion to rip the whole thing up and replace it with gravel).

The problem does seem to be systemic. Back in October, I was smacked hard (almost head on) by a minivan at 35th and Ballinger Way. She was heading the opposite direction and turned left into me (read: she hit me, I didn't T-bone her). Was thrown ~30' into a parking lot, bounced off a couple parked cars, etc etc. Got the whole backboard-neckbrace-ambulance ride deal. Definitely the motorist's fault. Anyway, the reason for the digression: when my wife went to the LFP PD later in the day to file a request for a police report on the accident, she was confronted by the staff there, who told her she didn't need the report because the accident "was obviously the cyclist's fault." We got one anyway...

The shame of it all is that LFP would be great riding territory otherwise: winding wooded residential streets with low traffic and some decent hills (Perkins is pretty nice).