View Single Post
Old 08-10-09, 08:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
Another perspective here.

I got hit, the driver was ticketed, her insurance replaced my bike, my ruined clothes, my panniers (i was touring), bought my plane ticket home, paid my medical bills, and gave me a few thousand for pain & suffering.

No lawyer.

I've been told I could have got a lot of money with a lawyer, but I chose not to have that bitterness infecting my life for the many many months it would have taken.

If I had permanent injury, I probably would have decided differently, but I'm satisfied with what happened.
I think this is a very healthy perspective.

Plaintiff's lawyers do not work for free. So even if you get a relatively quick settlement with no litigation, you will share a portion of it with the lawyer.

The bigger problem is that by starting down the litigation pathway, you increase the non economic costs to yourself as well.

Thus, if you have minor injuries, with no ongoing problems, relatively small medical bills, and the insurance company is willing to pay for your property damage, your bills, and perhaps a small sum for your trouble, you're well served to take the money and move on.

If you have substantial injuries, ongoing medical issues, very large medical bills, or the insurance company is not willing to make a reasonable settlement of your small claim, then you need to talk to an attorney.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.