View Single Post
Old 08-10-09, 09:56 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Man
I'm a newbie in the same boat. 6'4" etc... Looking at a Giant Defy 1. Was fitted by a LBS(almost and hour) on the XL model. Fit was perfect. But, I wasn't comfortable with the proper "fit". Just couldn't get used to such an aero posture. However, after changing the stem out to a more upright one to my specs (can't remember what degree) the "fit" was much more comfortable and natural.

The LBS guy said as I ride more my personal "fit" will change. What's most important is not what the numbers are on some chart are.... but the message that your body is telling you.

BTW My research shows that for an entry road bike the Defy 1 with all 105s is a hard to beat.

I hate to say it but your fit wasn't "perfect" or you would have been comfortable in the first place. Yes, your fit can change with core conditioning but the fitter should take that into consideration when he/she fits you. You have to be a little careful when you get fitted because the fitter is often biased towards the type of riding that they are used to fitting for. ie. Someone who fit's mostly triathletes may put you in a great triathlon position but not necessarily a comfortable position for someone who does 20mile rides once or twice a week. Part of this is incumbent on you to make sure the fitter is someone who fully understands the type of riding you are doing and what kind of fitness level you really have. The numbers are important because if you and the fitter did their job right you can take those numbers, match them up with the perfect combination of frame and components and ride off into the sunset! With out those numbers, you have to test ride bikes and I can guarantee you that a 5 minute ride around the block is going to do nothing for you other than give you a vague impression. Buy that bike and it's just lottery. Sometimes you win, usually you don't.