View Single Post
Old 08-15-09, 05:03 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When drivers don't understand arm signals, they don't mean a thing. Like I said in my previous post, younger drivers who've seen me signaling a right turn have thought I'm waiving. Given how long turn signals and brake lights have been mandated safety equipment on cars, most drivers under 30 don't even understand hand signals. It's cold comfort that we cyclists may know hand signals, but if the operators of larger vehicles don't, their use is irrelevant and dangerous.

New lighting technology enables clear views of turn signals both during the day and at night. I really think it's time that safety regulations require turn signals and brake signals on bicycles. The amber strobe lights I've ordered to use as turn signals have 22 bright LEDs on each strobe and the units are good-sized--4 inches by 2 1/2 inches. They'll be visible in daylight and highly visible at night. The brake light will have 9 super bright LEDs. I already have double bright head lamps and a battery-powered LED tail light. I will be adding spoke lights as well. At dawn, dusk and nighttime, you can't have too many lights.