Old 08-16-09, 10:01 PM
WCoastPeddler
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
I'm not touching them. They work as intended with 2mm distance. Thanks anywho.
It's been my experience not to mess with configurations that designers and engineers spec out when it comes to mechanical devices.

Designers and engineers spend a great deal of time, money, and research to ensure that their product is going to perform at it's optimum level of performance -- if, and it's a big "if", their product is installed and used as intended. You can do whatever you please, but I think the others are correct -- your brakes are indeed not installed correctly. I have no idea if your setup has an adverse effect from what the designers and engineers intended but it may not work properly under certain circumstances if the brakes perhaps are in a situation of extreme conditions such as power braking, etc. Installed incorrectly, it's likely there are stresses applied in manners that the brakes were not designed for -- and from your photo, it appears that your brake arms are too far apart (note the cable is arched instead of being straight across horizontally -- that's not good).

Here's a link to the installation document:

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...igit%207SL.pdf

It clearly shows the correct alignment of the brake arms in illustration #2.

Sounds to me that you're a bit on the stubborn side and don't want anyone telling you that you possibly flubbed up your install. No big deal really. Personally, I'd just suck it up, reinstall the correct sized washer and move on with the knowledge that my brakes are installed as the designer intended.

65er means well and is only offering you some helpful advice based on his experience (forgive him if he's not as humble as he ought to be ).

Just saying is all - I'm merely a guy typing on the internet -- you should by all means do whatever you like.

Last edited by WCoastPeddler; 08-16-09 at 10:04 PM.