View Single Post
Old 08-18-09, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Our co-op uses a system where we have one paid manager who is an expert wrench. He works with relatively unskilled volunteers, overseeing them, to complete repairs. Very quickly, volunteers are able to complete rudimentary tasks like cable replacement or mounting tires. Eventually they graduate up the technical skill chain.

The key to get this working is to recruit some volunteers who will stick around. Our co-op offered a bike to volunteers after 10 hours and they got quite a few showing up. On top of that there were volunteers who just seemed to like wrenching. I'm one of these, but there are others. One guy has over 160 hours this year. I have about 60. And there are a number of young guys who like to pop in over lunch and fix bikes...

If you are unable to get a paid manager, don't despair. There are undoubtedly a lot of resources that would help out. The key is to finding one or more skilled people who are willing to work with newbies.
Plan B in NOLA is run as an anarchist cooperative so the idea of a manager with power over others would never fly. We do have a core group of dedicated volunteers who have meetings but anyone can join provided they've shown they care.

Shortly after starting I remember having a person ask me how to fix something on their bike. I admitted I didn't know but I pulled out a repair manual and asked if we could learn together. It doesn't always have to be a teacher/student dynamic. Figuring it out together was a great experience.

Aside from offering material compensation (Plan B gave volunteers ~$5/hr in in-shop credit), I've found the best way to keep volunteers is to ensure the environment stays fun and rewarding for the volunteers. Few people will stick around if they feel underqualified, unappreciated, frustrated, or confused. How you run your shop affects all of this.