Old 08-19-09, 12:53 PM
BILLB58

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help transversing San Antonio

Am looking for some web sites, references, etc. for the San Antonio area. Last October, I left from San Diego on the Southern Tier route. Due to twisting my knee while off the bike, I had to abandon the trip in Del Rio. At the end of this September, I am returning to Del Rio and will be completing my cross country trek. My plan is to leave Del Rio on US 90, go thru San Antonio and pick up I10 for about 100 miles, and then head to La Grange and get back on the Southern Tier route at Navasota, TX. My logic for this plan is to avoid as much riding on chip seal roads as is possible. I am credit card touring, so I am only carrying about 25 lbs. I commuted in downtown LA many, many years ago, so city traffic is not frightening, I know to be very respectful.

Riding on US90 will not be a problem from Del Rio, but as I approach San Antonio, US 90 becomes a major highway. What exit should I take and what bike friendly roads/streets are recommended to get my posterior in one piece across the city?

Is there a club with bike maps on their web site that I have missed? Does the city have a cross city bike route?

Would it make sense to just ride the 1604 Loop and go south around the entire city?

Any and all help/assistance is appreciated!!!!