Old 08-19-09, 09:40 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Was on my home from breakfast and snagged this from a neighbour who was getting ready for a garage sale...

1985 Apollo Kuwahara Sierra Grande - Shimano Deore (stag's head) group, Shimano high flange MD475 high flange hubs laced to Araya RM25 wheels in a 36 4 cross pattern (these are bombproof), Suntour XC pedals.

The frame is very clean and the bike rides like it was new and cost me a whopping $30.00... it's a plain 4130 frame but like most Kuwaharas of this era, is very nicely put together and finished.

The saddle is new and all it needs is a little tlc in the way of a new chain, lube, and grips.
I'm on the floor writhing in jealous agony! Seriously, great find. Any single piece of that Shimano Deer Head group would more than pay for your investment in the bike. I'm a sucker for those super old mountain bikes. My best scores in that realm were both found at the curb... a Jamis Boss Cruiser 5spd which needed pedals, a rear wheel and a shifter cable and even came with a VERY early Cannondale seat bag (train station logo); and a 1989 Rockhopper Comp in very crusty condition, Hite-Rite, covered in brown spray paint including on the wheels, and a blown rear derailleur. I'm in the process on repainting it with my 10-year-old son, and it'll be his next bike when he outgrows the one he has now.