Bike Forums - View Single Post - Varsity worth it?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-09, 11:12 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62 Frejus, '62'62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colngao Super,'78 faux Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '82 Medici Pro Strada, '85 Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rouen View Post
I've never had this issue with heavier bikes, my original was a 45lb Mongoose.
thanks bibliobob, what would you recomend for a college student in the berkshire hills?
The conventional wisdom is to keep an eye out for an 80s Japanese bike (or mid/late 80s Schwinn), as they tend to be good quality, and reasonably priced.

My advice would not to get too hung up on brands. While there are some companies that exclusively made either good or bad bikes, most made both. Therefore, it makes more sense for a noob to learn what good tubing and good components are, and to decide for themselves whether or not a bike is good or bad.

You can learn a fair amount here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=guide

Also, check to see if there's a bike co-op near you. Learning to overhaul your bike yourself is the best way to ensure an enjoyable ride and to also learn what makes a "good" bike. Tools and knowledge are the two challenges, and a good bike co-op can give you both at limited expense.

Feel free to ask value questions in the Appraisals sub forum, or back here.

Best of luck to you.