View Single Post
Old 08-20-09, 09:26 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
Pre-pubescent tough-guys out to impress their tribe. Ever read, or seen, "Lord of the Flies?"

I fully understand the concern for the bike staying where you put it. And a good lock is an effective - usually - deterrent to thieves. But a professional thief can defeat any lock you have in a matter of a few minutes. Even around other people looking on, they ply their trade. They know the vast majority of people "don't want to get involved" and won't call for help. So it's prudent to take as many pre-cautions as possible.

I wouldn't dream of taking one of my top-notch machines and leave it unattended. If I can't keep my eyes on it - I won't take it there. I solved - partly - this problem by fixing up and older 3-speed for running errands with - and a Kryptonite u-lock. Knowing my area and my town well tells me this will likely be enough.

Good luck!
I totally agree with this. My '86 mint green and magenta stumpjumper with two locks(u-lock+ 1/2" cable) never even gets looked at on campus. (I think people purposely look away, actually)