View Single Post
Old 08-20-09, 11:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by interested
The problem with eye searing, retina burning lights are not the complaints on this forum, but real world aggression from hostile victims. Very powerful lights physically hurt to look at; it feels like getting a spray of teargas. Powerful unshaped light cones also has the psychological effect that you feel that the light is purposefully aimed at your eyes and that the light is "tracking" you, even though the light is static and you are just crossing the beam.
So shining powerful light cones into the eyes of pedestrians, cyclists and other oncoming traffic may result in aggression and even physical assault as a retaliation.

The 900 lumens light referred to here and in another post:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149
Has this interesting review: "Other Thoughts: This is the first bicycle light I have used that elicits complaints from people on the street. I light to grab the attention of cab drivers but the hostility of pedestrians is a bit too much."

--
Regards
I run far more than any LED light can put out and have never had anyone make any other comment than something along the lines of "Wow!". An automobile light is around 1500 lumens. My lights are in that range and I use 3 of them. It's not an issue. Part of that is being smart with how you use the lights, like aiming them so that they hit the ground in a reasonable spot and not intentionally trying to blind people unless they fail to notice the train coming at them. It's rarity but it happens
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!