Old 08-21-09, 07:28 AM
gtownviking

Bikes: Trek ST-120; Jamis Satellite; Miyata Seven Ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Because some of us believe that classic steel frames with modern componentry is the ultimate in function and rideability. I'm one of 'em.

I looooove ogling somebody's 100% period-correct Masi, or De Rosa, or Eisentraut, or . . . . (the list is pretty long), and I am thrilled that these gems are out there and loved. I can, and do, spend way too much time in Classic Rendezvous, gazing at some of the unbelieveably wonderful stuff in there.

But there is no way I can actually ride something like that any more. Not because I can't deal with downtube friction shifting, or non-aero levers, or what-have-you, but because a 42 x anything is simply not going to get me up any hill anywhere I ride. And, frankly, modern components, for the most part, work better than the period-correct stuff. (In this case, "better" for most components means less effort to ride the same distance at the same speed, and for brakes it means more raw stopping power and better modulation). It is easier to shift with a Campy 10-speed Ergo set-up than it is to shift NR or first-generation Dura Ace. And, I'm sorry, clipless pedals are simply more foot-friendly than any clip-and-strap combination I ever experienced.

But I still love the look and feel of classic steel frames. It's what I fell in love with 35 years ago, and it still makes my heart skip a beat.

So why not enjoy both old frames and modern components?

Oh, and no offense meant here, either. This truly is meant as a serious answer to a valid question.
This is basically the camp I fall into. LOVE steel and like you, I like the new components that are available. Like I said in another post (about the new steel Allez) there is a reason why shifters went from DT to stem to "brifters"....it's easier, SAFER and not an inconvenience and just plain better....not having to take your hand off the bars to reach down and shift makes riding that much more enjoyable.