View Single Post
Old 03-05-05, 08:51 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As someone who lives in the world of deadlines and tight work structures in my working life, I tend to go the other way on a tour. I have a general plan, I guess, with regard to miles or kms but am very open to the scenery, the weather and the local color and taking an easy day or rest day when the mood suits. On a loaded, self-supported tour, somewhere between 40 to 60 miles a day seems to allow for visiting castles and churches, and stopping for tea breaks and conversations with local people and generally sauntering along at a pleasant pace. But I'm not too worried if its more--or less. For me, smiles are always more important than miles.

By the way, I really admire that you do the brevet thing. It seems like a great tradition.