Old 08-28-09, 12:53 PM
Capt_Sensible
Capt Sensible

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Cramerroti 650C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have somewhat mixed feelings about the CVG. On the one hand it does seem to be encouraging folks who are concerned about cycling in traffic to get on their bikes. My workplace is on the CVG and there has been a fairly significant increase in the number of bike commuters this summer. A number of those people I've talked to have said that the availability of the CVG has encouraged them to try riding to work.

On the other hand I have significant concerns about how certain sections of the CVG have been designed.

1. The MUP along Great Norther Way has so many driveways bisecting it that it's only a matter of time before someone gets hit. Also there's a reasonable amount of ped traffic on that MUP and it can and is generally ridden at fairly high speeds, not a good combination (I also hate MUPs and generally avoid them).
2. Routing bikes directly through the entrances to Skytrain stations (particularly Renfrew and Rupert). Again is likely to cause ped/bike conflicts.
3. Agree about the crossing of Winston St east of the Sperling bridge. I wasn't aware of the cost but for $6 million maybe something more basic that included an offramp to feed eastbound traffic directly onto the bike lane on the south side of Winston might've been a more appropriate.

FYI, the wooden bridge over Still Ck by Dick's Lumber is temporary. The ground is currently being stabilized for construction of a new bridge, possibly next year.

Last edited by Capt_Sensible; 08-28-09 at 02:15 PM. Reason: edited after seeing wunderkind's post