View Single Post
Old 08-29-09, 11:08 AM
Lightingguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to do club rides, even so far as leading "show and go's" on 40-60 milers. Turning point for me was too many riders and bad habits among some that made the rides a cluster f_ _ k. At that point I drifted to 4 regular guys, 2 being triathletes, some of whom were just starting out. We've been hooking up for weekend and the rare weekday morning rides for maybe 10 years, but MOST of my rides are alone and to any distance.

I never went back to the club rides, even though it's a good way to get stronger, as you can push when you want to, then sit in and get pulled along when you get tired. Clubs are also a good way to learn the road systems as to what're good roads for bikes, where stuff goes, etc...

I'm lucky in that the 4 guys I ride with all ride pretty much the same pace, or WILL ride the same pace even when someone is not as fit that month (like me all last year) and while we ride hills at different speeds, we group up afterwards. Interesting part is that we've invited others on our rides, but nobody else, besides the 5 if us, ever became regulars. In truth, I enjoy riding with friends but also enjoy simply going out at my own pace at times.

SB