Old 08-30-09, 02:22 PM
JCFlack

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TXChick
I haven't bought anything yet. I'm not going to go with a 20" bike. After watching numerous videos online with people folding and carrying the 20" models, I'm just not going to do that. I'm short and a small person. I can't lug around something that size.
I own a Tokyo. On the good side, it does fold a bit smaller than a 20" bike. This is one of the reasons I like my bike - it fits in a very small closet. But it IS heavy, so you may find that the smaller size doesn't help when you carry it. I'm willing to carry mine a block or so, but no further. And I have to agree with what vmaniqui and shinew have said about the gearing - it is too low and too slow. I'm improving that by changing my gears, and will report how that works in a few weeks.

Finally, take seriously edwong3's advice about taking your new bike, whatever you get, to a local bike shop for a check-up and tuning. I wish I'd done that with my Tokyo - would have saved me some trouble and expense.
Originally Posted by shinew
oh one more thing, it cannot be rolled when folded.
Yes it can, but there isn't a good handle for pushing or pulling. The seatpost is at the wrong angle and so are the handlebars. I'm thinking that a rope or strap tied at the hinge might work - haven't tried it.

Last edited by JCFlack; 08-31-09 at 06:13 AM.