Old 08-31-09, 11:04 AM
flesh_pile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Best' 32 hole hub/rim wheel build - 24 spokes (16/8) with even spoke tension or 32?

I'm wondering what the 'better' wheel build will be on a 32 spoke hub and rim used for both training and racing . By better, I mean an all around wheel that is strong, stiff, light, aerodynamic, and resistant to going out of true and breaking spokes.

Lace it up 32 spokes like normally - 16 and 16 - but suffer reduced spoke tension on the NDS, or lace it up 16 like normal on the DS, and every other one on the NDS (8 spokes total) so as to roughly equal out spoke tension? I would still lace the NDS in a cross pattern (I'm guessing it would be 1 cross) so I would have 12 leading and 12 trailing spokes to deal with hub torque. That seems to be an acceptable amount for a lot of race wheels and I've ridden on 24 spoke wheels (with 12 spokes each side) with no real issues. I don't seem to notice any 'wind-up' when dropping the hammer either.

My initial guess is that 32 spokes might be a tad stiffer radially and slightly better with 'wind-up' but will be slightly less resistant to going out of true/breaking spokes due to large variations in spoke tensions. Obviously, 24 spokes will be slightly cheaper, lighter, and more aerodynamic as well.

Thoughts?