View Single Post
Old 03-07-05, 05:19 AM
berny
sundy hopeful

Bikes: Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only started racing this year in OZ. I've been racing crits since January with two clubs, racing Sunday mornings and Monday nights.
My first race I got dropped on the second lap. My second race I finished with the tail of the sprint group but well back. I've done 14 races now and I've been able to work my way up closer toward the front in every race. I've learned so much in these 2 months and I realise I've got plenty more to learn before I take a first but I'm hoping to do it this year. I've already finished 2nd in a small group finish (bad weather) and third in a regulation group so I'm stoked.
I'm still trying to develop a sprint. Strange that when I did get to where I might be in a position to have a go I found I had little idea of the actual mechanics of sprinting, doh!
Then there's 'the set up'. I now know that I need to set myself up for the sprint, ie know exactly who is still strong and stay in touch regardless of the cost. Previously I've tried to keep some in reserve for the last 200 but it's generally all over by then.
I need to NOT take the wheel of a rider who, regardless of his general form is 'done' on the day because when the sprint group jumps and he doesn't, you're sunk.

No doubt next race I'll employ my recently acquired tactics only to learn another invaluable lesson. Then hopefully one day it'll all come together.

edit Sorry I got carried away and forgot to congratulate you my58.. Well done and keep it going, the fun just keeps getting better.
Bern

Last edited by berny; 03-08-05 at 12:05 AM. Reason: forgot to congratulate my58vw