Drwecki

Bikes: Tease Fixed Gear, Schwinn World Traveler 72, 60's Hawthorne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by that_was_easy
Ok, remedies to pursue:

1. Buy new cables/housing from trustworthy LBS (luckily I've begun developing rapport with several)

2. Install lines so that cabling is an appropriate length for the job.

3. Loosen the locknut and caliper bolt to free up some of the resistance on the caliper spring. How snug does this need to be to work effectively? I generally try to get things pretty snug, but I'll be backing off slightly from, say, getting it BB tight.

4. Connect wire to the anchor via the procedure explained 9 billion times in BM.

5. Dispense with many thanks for putting up with my bean plating.

Seriously, I get new tires in on Wed. and a paycheck on Friday, so this may take some time, but, alas, this weekend will be the first I am mobile on my favorite ride. Thanks :
I guess I'm not the only one getting sort of frustrated. You could at least placate us by doing the line check I described and the last poster described. That way we'll know if the cable tension is le problem... Which it likely is... I think you said your brakes calipers were brand new.. I doubt they are the problem (which is why I want the line test). Do the line test...does the line move freely? It's cool, I just think you could diagnose this without spending any more money! I personally thought the line looked like it was cranked extremely at the brake lever...It looks like a 90 degree bend... My lines all swoop... But if you didn't know, the front brakes do 70% of the braking and the rear really don't matter (well they help I wouldn't want to be 30% less smart--er--er) But if I was a junk man (i.e. a commuter..which I am) it doesn't really matter (for a few weeks at least anyways). So get the front working.. Then ride your butt to the LBS and get the right length cable (3 bucks) and tubing (maybe 8 bucks).. Enjoy hombre... Get to work! FYI I'm a problem solver not a perfecftionist...so I'm from the git er done school.. the racing circuit dudes probably disagree with my lax-ittudes.. But if your goal is to ride your bike around town, going one brake won't kill ya!