patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
I think sometimes one gets that impression from people who are passionate about something because, by definition, the ones who talk the loudest and longest about it are the ones who are predisposed to talk loud and long about something to begin with. More a personality thing than a reflection on the subject itself. I think there are plenty of VC proponents who are not as "out there" evangelistically as some, but of course you don't hear from them, because they're not the ones talking about it.
You're right, of course. As an opinionated and passionate person myself, I've been on both ends of that particular problem. One things I have learned the hard way: be very careful about dismissing the opinions of others. I'm not saying it should never be done, there are times when "DUMB!" seems the only honest responce. But I really feel that most of the time an opposing opinion derseves more than a dismissal.

Looking though these VC vs. bike lane debates its easy to see why VCers are hated by so many cyclists. Since I joined these debates - at first innocently as a newbie, later out of genuine interest, I have seen time and time again comments like:

- you just like bike lanes because you're a newbie
- once you learn that better options exist, you'll think differently
- I've had no problems with VC, so your problems must be imaginary

There are some very reasonable people here (Treespeed comes to mind), and there are others who pat you on the head, tell you that you'll understand when you're all grown up, and that meanwhile you should just blindly agree with them. I admit that I let them get under my skin. Maybe in another ten years or so I will have learned to ignore them just as I ignore most other dogmatists (and I hope I *never* learn their patronizing attitude!). Unfortunately this same sort of person tends to dominate lobby groups, and all too often ruins things for those who want something different - not always more or less "right", but just different.

Ok, end of rant.