View Single Post
Old 09-02-09, 02:11 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtRoadRunner
I'm really liking the idea of two sets of wheels/tires/gears.
There's quite a good chance that you don't really need two sets of wheels. Also, the gearing that comes with the bike is probably fine starting out (and even for longer). Having two sets of wheels is more convenient than changing tires all the time but you might not any real problem with using 32/35mm (for example) tires for all your riding.

It's possible that you will have a better idea of what exactly you want the extra set of wheels for after some time with what the bike comes with.

Originally Posted by meanwhile
Your biggest decision is going to be whether to get a bike with double or triple chainrings at the front. Consider the local terrain and find out what range you can get through customizing a double - a standard double ring cross bike is definitely lacks hill climbing power compared to an MTB or tourer.
It's not clear that there's any real down side to a triple. (I think I'd suggest the triple.)

Originally Posted by meanwhile
My other suggestion is to start riding offroad with BMX platform pedals instead of "clipless" pedals that lock to a dedicated shoe. They're much cheaper, you can ride in any shoe, and they grip your foot well but allow instant removal if you need to put a foot down. And they can save you a lot of pain if you do come off the bike - staying attached to 22lb of metal is not a good idea in a crash. Again this is an easy change. Diamondback Bigfoots are a good choice - probably about $25 on ebay, shipped. Changing to SPDs or Looks, etc, will be easy later if you feel the need. Again, Rivendell has some advice here.
This is reasonable advice. Though, I would not call a packed-gravel path "off road". If you have any concerns about clipless pedals, there's no reason you have to deal with that at the start.

Originally Posted by knobster
While I really wouldn't disagree too much with the other posters, I do notice a difference between a road bike and a cross bike. The bikes I had/have was/is a 2006 Specialized Roubaix and a 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp. While I do around the same speed on flats, the Roubaix climbed, accelerated and cornered better than the Tricross. A road bike will be more fun on the road, but a cross bike will more fun everywhere else.
I don't think anybody is saying that there is no difference. The original poster is looking for a compromise (of sorts). A cross bike is a better fit for him than a "pure" road bike would be and he won't really lose much by going with the cross bike.

Originally Posted by wirehead
Now, Q about different rims.
If one were to have two wheels with different exterior widths... is there a certain amount of time that is wasted with the wheel switch getting the brakes re-adjusted for the different rims, or is that not an issue?
Interesting. If they were not too far different, one might just deal with it. The primary value (in my opinion) of multiple wheelsets is to avoid changing tires frequently (maybe this isn't necessary) and changing cassettes (probably really not necessary). It might make sense to use rims with the same width.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-02-09 at 02:46 PM.