Old 09-03-09, 05:02 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You'll find them useful for out of the seat climbing. They were originally designed as an aid to climbing
for mountain bikers, as well as adding additional hand positions, a very nice feature on longer rides. You
can hold them a couple different ways to further reduce hand fatigue, at the juncture or near the end.
Tilted up can still provide the ability to change hand position, but probably not much help for climbing or
other out of the saddle efforts. Unless you have limited flexibility and/or never ride standing up, I'd
suggest closer to horizontal than 45º, 65er's and most of the bar ends pictured in this thread are
installed at reasonable angles.

Here I'm caught in the process of changing to a more aggressive looking position after noticing I was
being photographed. I've just stood up and have switched one hand to the bar end. The photographer
had actually ran past me on my left, and across my path before taking this picture! Startled me for a
second as I meandered up the hill pedaling with my arches, in untied sneakers, sporting my winter tan
four day after the biggest snow of the season. Then I realized it was just Joel doing his thing. I stole the
picture from his blog, gwadzilla at blogspot. Check it out. He has nice pictures of the beautiful girl on the
cruiser waiting to cross the street in the background of this shot.

These bar ends are curved kinda like a section of a drop bar, so it's hard to determine the angle, just
wanted to post the picture again. Thanks for asking.