View Single Post
Old 09-03-09, 09:23 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Common Bicycle Injuries - The Flip-Over

Good evening all,

Before getting into all this - I will not take any of your diagnoses or suggestion as the last RX-approved word. I do not have health insurance currently, and am situationally poor, so I have no health care I can come close to affording.

I took a nasty spill over the handlebars about a month ago. I was riding a bike I picked up on the cheap before a thorough clean-up (yes I know, idiotic), and being used to SPD pedals, when the bike slipped out of gear at ~15mph, my foot hit the ground and my right leg was used as a "Mike Launcher".

I landed hard on my left-hand, hit my head pretty bad, and really messed up my right knee.

At first, I could barely use my knee. It was a full two weeks before I could even ride down to the store. I worked on super-high spinning from then on, it has gotten much better. But there are still angles it will not comply when in motion without pain. Looking at it from my perspective, the area right around the right top side of the cap still kind of hurts when you rub it.

The finger/hand situation is also not so hot. My left index finger still pretty much hurts constantly at both knuckles and somewhat down to the palm. When I try to "crack" the knuckle like I did as a grade-schooler, it still sears and will not crack.

So hopefully I will get a job in the not-too-distant future that will provide an income worthy enough for our "spendy" choice of persuit, moreover, I hope that job gets me decent enough healthcare to at least properly diagnose these injuries (and maybe pay for the reconstructive surgery that will undoubtedly come later).

Thanks,
Mike