Thread: starter bent
View Single Post
Old 09-04-09, 02:16 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I too will take issue with the "widespread problems" with Linear frames. I and two friends own a total of 6 Linears, both short and long wheelbase, all built prior to Mr. Bicycleman's version. All were purchased used, mostly off of ebay or Craigslist. The most expensive one was $850 and it was barely used and about two years old at the time. The least expensive was $400 and probably dates back into the mid-1980s. If you are trying to sell a new model at nearly $2K, you had better come up with some good reasons why the buyer shouldn't opt for one costing 1/3 to 1/4 as much. I remain unconvinced. My Linear has given me about 5,000 trouble free miles. I have gone on to other bikes and trikes but it is still rideable and comfortable after 7 years of ownership.

BTW, you can do a U-turn on a Linear in less than 6 feet. Stop, plant your feet firmly on the ground, grab the edges of the seat, lift, and swivel the bike 180 degrees. It may not be very elegant but it is very easy and works in tight places.