Old 09-04-09, 02:29 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bat22
My Tricross makes a great winter commuter. I felt that 28s' made the ride more harsh.
Went back to 32s' with the belief that is the tire size the bike is engineered for.
Added the Shimano flight deck and the Dinotte light fits just right between the
front handlebar and safety brake levers. I use a pack instead of a rack.
Which Dinotte light are you using? I'm thinking of getting a 200L which seems highly regarded here.

Originally Posted by cod.peace
Just a dumb question...but have you calibrated your cyclocomputer correctly, if you're using that to judge speed?
Sure, my computer consists of, er, my gut feelings

Ps: when I say I was in a high gear, I mean high enough to allow me to step gently on the pedals and keep my ass off the saddle (to stay away from the bump). The Tricross was HUGELY more comfortable than the Allez over these bumps, but even then I felt I needed to get off the saddle.

I guess the best way to put this speed thing to rest is for me to do some time measurements. On the Allez my 11 mile commute, while stopping at all lights and riding safely in traffic, is 40 minutes, if I'm not particularly pushing it, dropping to 35 minutes when I really wanna 'gun' it.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
500 yards is a short distance. It's not a meaningful distance to determine relative speed. On longer distances over such terrain (or worse), it seems likely that the Tricross can be driven faster more comfortably.

Without numbers, "faster" is kind of hard to attribute much meaning to. I'm assuming "high ratio" means the "highest gear". If so, it's likely that the Tricross is geared lower there. If you were using the same gear size and the same cadence, the bikes would have to be moving at the same speed (actually, the Tricross would be moving a tiny bit faster). Accelleration in the Allez (especially uphill) might be a bit quicker. Unless you are spending a large proportion of your travel time accellerating or climbing hills, the difference in the overall time over a a real distance would probably be rather small.

And again, a lot of the difference (if there's a real difference) could be the tires.
I think I'll enjoy the Tricross a whole lot more once I've installed clipless pedals.

Originally Posted by tjspiel
If out of the saddle acceleration is not a quick as the Allez I would attribute most of that to the tires. Aerodynamics and geometry wouldn't really come in to play. Weight of the bike and tires will contribute some.

If cruising along in the drops is slower, that again could be tires but aerodynamics will start to matter. Lowering the bars to get you more "aero" would help but might cause other problems. I'm not sure about the relative differences in geometry between the Tricoss and the Allez. If the Tricoss has a slacker seat tube angle then lower bars might be more uncomfortable than they would be on the Allez at a similar height. It might also lead to a loss of power. This is because your knees will end up closer to your chest while pedaling, - you'd have to scrunch more. You can get around this to some degree by moving your seat forward, - which may require a longer stem, - which could lead to handling weirdness.

Moving the seat forward is a trick triathletes use on standard road bikes to get the geometry closer to that of a tri-bike. The idea is to allow you to get your upper body lower without having to scrunch so much.

That's why I question the value of aero bars on hybrids, - at least hybrids designed with upright riding in mind. Riding lower on a bike like that will be more uncomfortable than it would be on a bike designed to be ridden that way.
Yeah, my out of saddle acceleration isn't as fast as Allez. I too attribute this to weight (and probably width) of tire, and I guess the wheels are a little heavier than my Askiums too.

Originally Posted by Hot Potato
I have not had a flat since switching to Specialized Armadillo tires. I was getting at least one flat a month on the stock tires prior to the switch. I think I have 28's on my road bike, I might try 25's when I wear them out.
I was looking forward to my ride home this ewvening, on the Allez. Dm thing had a flat. Still, my Conti Gatorskins have been pretty good for the last 7 months, only over the last month or so I've been getting a couple of flats.