Thread: Which battery?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-09, 11:05 AM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a question for those who have bought Ping batteries. Did you pay customs duties, and if so, how much? I've been looking at US sources but probably won't bite the bullet until spring. My SLAs are fine. I wish Yardworks lithium battery packs were available in the US, but they're not. Canadian ezip/izip users have successfully used those tool pack batteries and the included BMS without modification in their Currie battery cases, however, I'm not sure that the dimensions are right for Currie's rack mounted battery packs. The Canadian ezips and izips that many bought from Canadian Tire had the narrow, long battery case mounted behind the seat. (Any Canadian Yardworks battery user want to measure and post the dimensions--I've had trouble finding the dimensions on Canadian Tire's web page.)

I plan on staying at 24V (I don't want speed, I just want pedal assist) and would love to have a second battery pack to ride even further next spring and summer. I've decided I'll ride this winter, but my riding pattern will be different--I'll be riding into and around town. In good weather, I generally ride forest roads, which are mountainous, since I'm smack dab in the middle of a huge national forest west of Glacier National Park. However, in the winter months, it's not safe to ride those roads--most aren't plowed. Plus, they're isolated and if you have an issue and can't ride or walk out, you're more than likely going to die from exposure before anyone finds you. (At least 1 motorist a year has some kind of issue on an isolated forest road here and dies of exposure--generally when they walk away from their vehicle and get lost--two years ago, 3 died in one winter.)