View Single Post
Old 09-10-09, 08:59 PM
Hot Potato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The triple has merit. A compact double will require changes in the front chainring more often than a triple. A 53-39-30t triple provides useful gearing from 10 to 25 mph at a 90 rpm cadence while on the middle ring. This is a great range for many recreational riders. The big ring is there for higher speeds, the little is a bail-out option for very steep routes.

The compact will require you to up-shift between the big and little chainrings at about 18 mph. You will need to use the front derailleur more often on a compact than on a triple. You will also cross-chain more often with a double.

Michael
I bought the Roubaix Expert Triple last year. I really, really, enjoy the bike. Buy it!

And I have to heartily agree with Barettscv quoted above.

I intentionally hunted down a triple because I had failed at some hills near my vacation home on my compact double. I was able to get over the top with the triple, and riding is always better than walking, especially with road shoes. One year later, I still need the triple's lowest on one section occasionally. Maybe next year I won't need it, maybe the new Ultegra compact double with the 12-28 cassette and the 34 chainring is all I would need now, and maybe all you would need now too.

But I discovered that when I am at home in the Chicago Burbs, I never need the granny ring. That 39 middle ring is perfect for my commute, and 95% of my other riding. On occasion (5%) I will use the 53 ring for a while. I vastly prefer riding my triple because of its 39 ring compared to my compact double's 34/50. My next bike will be a standard double not because I am a strong rider, but because it will be so darn convenient when I ride near my home, and the triple will go live at my vacation home near the hills.