View Single Post
Old 09-11-09, 06:43 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I have a Nexus red band 8 speed hub, so I'll be following this thread with interest. I haven't had trouble with mine, but I have a similar experience with my Sturmey Archer eight speed hub, which I will share with you because I think it will serve as a good "best case scenario."

I got this XRF8 hub with a bike in May 2007. By May 2009 it had about 5300 miles on it, and was running really rough. It still worked, shifted into all gears, but shifting was difficult and the hub always felt terrible. The whole bicycle shook with vibrations coming from the hub, and it made a lot of noise when coasting. I had partially overhauled it twice, and had diagnosed a couple problems that were out of my ability to repair, mainly because I don't have all the right tools and replacement parts (bearings in cages) needed. So I brought it to a LBS where the head mechanic is the owner, a career mechanic, and he probably knows as much about bikes as anyone since Sheldon Brown (may peace be upon him). He assured me he could overhaul the hub, though it would take a week or two for him to look at it, order parts, and get it all back together. No problem, I said, I have a #2 bike.

To be clear, the bike and hub were both out of warranty (over a year since purchase), and I had not bought the bike from that shop anyway. The shop was under no obligation to do the repair, and I warned him I fully expected it to be a b**** of a job. I didn't actually expect him to take the job, but he did, and I was happy to have an expert working on it.

Well, I'll spare you the details, but the repair took five or six weeks, during which he totally destroyed my hub. During this process, he spent a lot of time on the phone with Sturmey Archer technical staff who guided him through the process. Yes, I know: WTF? I didn't ask. When I got the bike back it had a whole new wheel. He couldn't get a 28H hub so he built me a wheel with new 36H hub and rim and new spokes. Total cost to me: $120 (labor) plus tax. I don't know all the details of what this repair actually cost the shop, but I believe Sturmey Archer provided the hub gratis.

Anyway, as I said, this is no more than a "best case scenario" for you. What should you do now? I don't know, but I agree with Meanwhile: contact Shimano, tell them what happened. At the very least, get their advice.