Old 09-12-09, 08:26 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Now for my own peace of mind. I would like to know how to prevent this from happening again if I take one of my folding bikes with me on board a bus in the future as is my habit of combining modes of transport.
Not to be callous, but the best way to prevent this from happening is to move faster. Not saying it was your fault, but IMO behaving more defensively is more effective than trying to get others to change.

Originally Posted by ShinyBiker
Good to hear your ok.

Here in DC all the buses have these GPS systems that riders (and presumably supervisors) can track where all the buses are via the internet. Customers can be tracking where the bus is close to their stop and they go to the bus stop when it's a few minutes away. I think the management may be pressuing their drivers keep to their schedule. Thus, they're probably speeding up so they won't get in trouble. We've had several incidences recently where bus drivers have run over people legally crossing the street.

Another example: I often see drivers gunning the engine when an elderly person is just walking to her seat. I think bus drivers should see that some people need extra time, but they don't.

I guess my only advice to you is to practice your yelling voice.
Elderly and disabled individuals get a discount for their trouble. Attitudes like yours are one of the reasons why buses have such a poor reputation. The bus needs to run on time as much as lawfully possible. Can you imagine a train slowing down and failing to keep schedule to make it easier for people to take their seats? It's unheard of.