Old 09-12-09, 10:58 PM
shouldberiding

Bikes: '08 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
Don't know your physical dimensions, but speaking as a Clyde, I can tell you -- my cleats are as far forward as the shoes will allow. Too far back, it gets into the arch of my foot -- PAINFUL! As I said earlier, the type of shoe can affect that, as well. Tried my old Sette's yesterday, with the cleat 'near the front of the ball of my foot'; I feel now that it could be about 2-3mm back, but that's all, and that still isn't anywhere near where the Answer shoes place them. If I could get the Answers to mount the cleat about 4-5mm forward, I'd be in hog heaven.

I'm guessing your shoe size (Euro) is less than about 40 or 41.
45, actually. And wide. Different shoes is all. With the cleat all the way forward it would be just in front of the ball of my foot. Pretty much in line with the front of my pinky toe, actually. I can spin more easily with them nudged back.

Originally Posted by dekindy
What you are considering doing (moving cleats back) is good for recreational cyclists that are not worried about sudden acceleration and want maximum comfort. As you move them forward you get more power. There is a very good article on this in the most recent Bicycling magazine that I just received in the mail.
You can also develop nasty, nasty achilles pain if you have your cleats too far forward. Many people are more prone to hot spots as well with the cleats pushed forward.

Last edited by shouldberiding; 09-12-09 at 11:04 PM.