View Single Post
Old 09-13-09, 06:55 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katy Trail - Day 2

I wasn't able to upload anything last night as the connection at the hotel wasn't the best. It seems to be working tonight

The weather has been great for biking with temps in the high 70's, partly cloudy skies and slight winds.

We started the day in Sedalia and rode to New Franklin for a total of 42 miles. The Katy Trail guide book states this section has the "longest, steepest and ugliest grade" on the trail. We won't disagree with that description. The first few miles out of Sedalia were on a slight downgrade and we kept a steady 14-16 mph pace. Once we hit the 2 mile stretch with the constant 2-3% grades we found we slowed down to around 8-11 mph.

Everyone should have a place like the Sedalia train stop for trail users. They had restrooms, gift shop, a railroad museum and old bicycles on display.
[IMG][/IMG]

The name tag on the bike is "Sophie". I liked it because this is the name of one of my granddaughters. This bike is several different colors and is on loan from a local lady who has owned the bike since her dad bought it for her as a child.
[IMG][/IMG]

We stopped in Pilot Grove for lunch before heading off to Booneville where we crossed the Missouri River. They had another great trail rest stop in Booneville. This is the original restored train station.
[IMG][/IMG]

I don't have any pictures from the bridge crossing. It was a narrow bike/pedistrion crossing high above the river with a metal railing with vertical bars. I don't like heights and the watching the bars made me dizzy so I hugged the interior wall and walked across
[IMG][/IMG]

Near New Franklin we saw what's left of the Katy roundhouse where they turned the trains. It's a shame they haven't been able to preserve more of it.
[IMG][/IMG]

The scenery today was much the same as the first day. The tour book says we'll be seeing more of the Missouri River and the bluffs on day three.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith