View Single Post
Old 09-13-09, 07:38 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katy Trail - Day 3 and the accident

Today we rode from New Franklin to Hartsburg for a total of 35 miles. As promised by the Katy Trail guide this was a flat and scenic section.

Rocheport was our first stop and we loved it so much we stayed for lunch after only 12 miles on the trail. They have a great cafe on the trail and this seems to be a favorite place for riders.
[IMG][/IMG]

This section has a lot of history tied to the Lewis and Clark expedition and there are signs all along the trail with this information. A few pictures taken along the trail before the tunnel and "the accident".
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Just before entering Rocheport is the only tunnel on the Katy Trail. It's not a long tunnel but it can be very dark if you forget to remove your sunglasses. The trail is a little rough inside the tunnel and there is a slight drop off on both sides which contains soft dirt. Immediately after entering the tunnel I couldn't see a thing except the light at the end of the tunnel. I got too close to the edge and the bike and I went down I was able to unclip and I stuck my hand out against the wall to prevent hitting the wall full force but my left elbow took the most impact. A couple of walkers helped me back to my feet and I was able to walk the bike and myself out of the tunnel. No damage was done to the bike but I'm going to have a nice bruise on my left elbow. As you can see the 520 wasn't damaged
[IMG][/IMG]

I had no problems the rest of the ride and enjoyed the scenery. The weather cooperated again today with temps in the high 70's, partly cloudy skies and not too hateful headwinds
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith