Old 09-14-09, 10:49 AM
Brambler
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
If your legs hurt that much, you might be in way too high of a gear, back down and pedal smooth, and at a fairly high rpm. Even in the spring after no cycling all winter, my lungs hurt before my legs. Or, maybe you just gotta get your legs in shape, cycling legs are nice too!
Yep, I definitely need to work on getting myself to ride with better cadence in a lower gear. My natural inclination right off the bat was to dial up through the gears until I was getting a good amount of resistance on each revolution and then pump a bit and coast, pump a bit and coast. Gotta learn to pedal in a more controlled way in a lower gear.

Originally Posted by Jersh
Welcome aboard... If you're only going to be riding on paved trails/neighborhood roads, I would highly recommend ditching the fat knobby tires and getting something better suited for the road. I picked up a pair of road slicks for my mountain bike, if I recall I got them from Performance Bike and they were only like 8 bucks or something like that...
On the tires, what width should I be looking for? The ones it came with are 2", but it looks 26" tires can come in anything from 1.25" to 2.4" widths. Should I just be going for the narrowest tire my rims can handle? (if it comes in 26", can it ever be too narrow for the rim?)

Thanks for the info!