View Single Post
Old 09-14-09, 09:52 PM
Wheels2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
1. No real concerns except lateral placement and the possibility (as with bike lanes) that their absence on roads or lanes could be interpreted as those being inappropriate for bicycles.
2. Sure, any lane width, as long as they don't dictate a specific lateral position
3. The sharrow designs I've seen dictate a fairly specific lateral position. I think the design could be changed to not be as specific, for example just a wide lane spanning bicycle icon, or an icon that shows multiple (left, center, right) positions. At intersections approaches on roads with one same direction lane the left position could have a left turn arrow, the center a thru and the right position a right turn arrow. Just a rough idea.

I think you've got something with your observation that the absence of a sharrow or a bike lane could signal that bikes shouldn't be there. + a bike lane says that's the only place a bike should be, doesn't it? What's wrong with just riding in the road? "I doan need no stinkin' bike lane."