Old 09-18-09, 08:53 AM
BigBird2
Bigbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WebsterBikeMan

However, based on your single bike choices, I'd guess you'd be happier with the Gary Fisher. That is one sweet bike. On the other hand, I looked a little harder at the geometry information listed, and it looks like a smallish bike. A 19 1/2" seat tube, where you rode a medium or a large, meaning 21 or 23. A "total top tube" of 48" - probably measured along the sloping top tube, although the standard measurement would be the horizontal equivalent. The Santana medium is 49" (measured the same way, if Gear To Go's web site is correct on that point). It seems to have a threadless stem, so you might get away with putting on a very long stem. Rich can help you out there. So you might be able to make it work with the seat post way up and a long stem. Looks like there's a good chance you can put on a longer stem without replacing the cables, as they have some slack.
"A 19 1/2" seat tube" - my Gary Fisher Tassajara MTB has a 19 1/2" seat tube. The standover height of 31" seems right, as I have @ a 31-32" inseam. Rich suggested a "medium" for us in a new Santana, so the 48" top tube length of the Gary Fisher is pretty close to the medium Santana at 49". Anyway, I'm hoping the Genesis will be a good starter tandem. Most of our riding will be locally on rural back roads and easy bike trails, so I'm not concerned too much about speed and weight. Plan to just cruise along.