View Single Post
Old 09-18-09, 10:25 AM
SemperFi87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the vibrams for shorter runs and for lifting/crossfit workouts. The flat sole they give you is great for lifting and xfit stuff, and you get a great feel for the ground through the thin sole. I find that anything over about 3 miles is kinda rough in them. It starts to really wear on the ball of my foot. The one downside to them is that they were originally designed for kayaking, so they are neoprene. They hug your feet great, but don't really let much sweat out (at least with the heavy ones that I have, but I really wanted to straps, so I had to get that model). This can create some spots that rub a bit when you are on longer runs or doing long workouts. Also, I would not recommend running with them on pavement, it just seems a bit too hard on the feet.

The whole point of using them or frees is that they help you with your running form in terms of how to strike with the bal of your foot. A lot of people that advocate POSE or Chi running love them because they basically naturally make you follow that type of running style while giving you extra foot protection.

All in all, I love my vibrams, but I use them as a training tool, not as my only running shoe. Whenever I am doing longer runs or runs on hard surfaces, I stick with the normal trainers. My running form has gotten a lot better since using them though, and my leg turnover has increased with the new style of running. The other thing is that they take some time to get used to. Like two or three weeks. My calves we so sore for the first few weeks that I was taking two days off in between runs, so I wouldn't just start using them heavily when a race is on its way.

Last edited by SemperFi87; 09-19-09 at 12:11 AM.