View Single Post
Old 09-18-09, 07:06 PM
amor fati

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pista Concept and Cinelli Mash

I would really like to try out a Bianchi Pista Concept. Unfortunately, since they don't produce them anymore and my location seriously limits the chances of me finding a used one in my size I'll probably have to look for an alternative. The Cinelli Mash looks to be some sort of amalgamation between a Pista Concept, a 90's Cannondale track and a Kierin pursuit frame. Anyone out there who's tried both the Concept and the Cinelli and can tell me how they compare. I'm curious to know the story behind the Cinelli, i.e. why they chose the sloping top tube and how they came up with this particular frame as the ideal frame for street track bike riding. Do the angles feel really steep or is it rather comfortable?

If I do happen to find a Pista Concept I have a few questions about that too. Does the Concept really have the same geo as the regular steel Bianchi Pista as indicated by the Bianchi website? I would think the Concept was originally designed specifically for the track and would have a bit steeper angle's and shorter wheel base. Also, am I wrong in feeling a little wary of buying a used frame that comes with a carbon fork? I've always thought it a good policy to only use carbon parts that i've bought new or otherwise know the history of. Lastly, are there any specific changes in the Concept frames between 2005 and 2009?

By they way, I'm not really interested in the D2 Pista or the Super Pista that's coming out. The fork on the D2 pista looks terrible in my opinion, I like the cutaway in the Concept seattube, and I suspect the Super Pista of being built with less quality control than the older Concepts. I can also get the Cinelli for a good price while I can catch no such breaks on a new Bianchi.