View Single Post
Old 09-19-09, 06:13 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by coloneluw
I was riding today and thinking about getting/making a fixed geared bike...you have a lot of thinking time on a long ride. I've always wondered why they use axle nuts versus QR on fixed geared bikes. I've never been a track rider or had experience with track riders but I was a mechanic for about 10 years and my experience was that a QR actual has as much or more holding power than any nut (I work on a lot of BMX) because of the cam system within a QR. Add a textured axle nut and I don't see any slipping. I don't see a weight advantage. Solid axle and nuts vs. hollow axle and skewer (lightweight skewer presumed). I can see if you were actually on a track why fixed is the only way because changing is not an option, but most riders today seem to be using them for zipping around town. Is it just something that has not changed with the times and they keep it with nuts? Remember, before the sarcasm from "fixie" riders, I am a novice to this realm but would like to try it.

It's Hipster Irony. You'll notice that Campy track hubs do not come with quick release skewers.