Old 09-21-09, 09:56 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Thoughts For New 26" Tires ?

After about 1200 miles on our tandem, and 1000 on this set of tires, we finally had a flat. There was a small cut through the tire, about 1/8 long on the outside and tiny on the inside. I booted it with a Park boot and made it home, but I think I'll replace the tires.

We are running 26x1.3 Continental Sport Contacts, and this is the only puncture we've had, but the beads are looking a little worn and the tires are worn down somewhat. Saftey is a big deal with me as I'm pretty risk averse. Double that for my stoker.

I'm considering another set of the Sport Contacts. We're a 350 pound team and have been riding for about 7 months, usually 15-25 miles with a couple of multi day rallies (so far).

I also have a new set of Kenda Kwest Tandem Tires (labeled as such on the sidewall) in 26x1.5 that came recommended to me by the folks at Precision Tandems. They are the only tandem specific 26 inchers that I'm aware of, but there may be others. They are considerably heavier but are rated to 100 psi if desired. I've not yet tried them on the tandem.

I'm also considering something from Schwalbe, either the Marathon Racer in 26x1.5 folding or Marathon Plus 26x1.35 wire bead.

How many miles do some of you folks get out of your tires?

Any thoughts or recommendation regarding the four tires I've mentioned here?

Thanks