Old 03-12-05, 03:37 PM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain logetivity

Just curious of what I should expect for how long a chain should last as I have relatively little experience with this.

With my three bikes, totalling over 18,000 miles, I've only had one which I've replaced because I found a link that looked like it was going bad. I've replaced others because of stretch. Generally these seemed to happen mostly 2000 - 3000 miles and sometimes I went ahead and replaced it when having a major tuneup even though it was not necessary.

On my present bike (Felt F-35 - also my first double crank if that matters instead of a triple), I had to replace the original stretched chain at 2000 miles. However, the replacement has, so far, gone about 5400 miles and had it checked at the shop and it was fine.

Talking to people, I've gotten all kinds of comments. One recommended replacing the chain every 1000 miles to minimize wear on the cassette. Others have said 2000. But one guy at the LBS said a good chain may be fine for 10,000 miles.

So, I'm just looking for a lot of views on this issue (I know, some chains are likely better than others) just to give me a better feel for this.