View Single Post
Old 09-23-09, 10:40 AM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on everything TSL posted. You don't need to spend a forture to get a great cycling coat. If you can do without a fancy lable, then go and call Lou at www.foxwear.net. He can custom make you a coat for around $85 delivered to your house. Lou uses various types of fleece materials. Some of the fleece is extremely wind resistant, others breath. If you discuss your climate and your cycling needs he can help you determine what is the best combination for your riding. I have the Evap coat and it works great from aroudn 50F all the way down to 0F all wearing nothing more than a wicking T shirt as a base layer. In temps below 15F I tend to add a thin long sleeve jersey. When I get on the bike I feel cold to slightly cold. Within a mile I am comfy and by the time I get to work I am sweating heavily. The nice thing about modern soft shell coats is that they can hold in heat, but let out all the sweat. I used to wear a cheapy fleece with a "breathable" wind breaker. The inside of the windbreaker would be completely soaked with sweat. No such problems with the EVap coat. I also have the Power Shield pants for temps well below 50F. Those keep my legs warm right into the single digits. When the temps were hovering around 0F I added my rain pants as an extra wind barrier, but except for those extreme temps, the pants are fantastic on their own.

Happy riding,
André