Old 09-25-09, 10:03 AM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sowers Pass Users Experience

I've lost 50 pounds since I bought winter kit last fall. A windbreaker/rain jacket is on my downsizing list.

The Showers Pass Elite 2.0 looks like a well-designed all-around. It uses eVent, which is Robert Gore's original EPTF membrane with a finishing treatment that reportedly maintains better breathability than Gore-Tex's polyurethane, as shown by a 2002 Army Lab study that showed eVent to have statistically nearly identical vapor permeability to Gore's untreated EPTF.

I understand that Gore. intentionally "degrades" EPTF's breathability as a tradeoff to slow sweat-oil and dirt "clogging" of EPTF's pores, and that eVent, treated with a less disruptive coating than Gore-Tex, has to be washed more often than Gore-Tex to maintain its near-native-EPTF breathability, which Nikwax products reportedly provide, and Showers Pass sells.

eVent is clerarly not perfectly breathable per se, because Showers Pass has incorporated:
dual (top and bottom)front zips, armpit zips, a back vent, and velcro wrist closures, all of which provide options to maximize bulk airflow and reduce sweat condensation.

I've used Gore-Tex Pro, which works well in a mtn sports shell with all of the Elite 2.0's venting except the back vent, but that's a $400 proposition, and the Elite is $230.

My real questions are:

How is the quality of Elite's workmanship and durability in heavy daily use?

If leakage occurs, if seams split, can anyone here comment on Showers Pass's repair / replacement policies? For example, if I buy Gore-Tex from REI, LL Bean, Backcountry, the sellers offer full-satisfaction/ refund, in addition to mfrs' warrantees.

Is the Mountain Elite more durable, better for extended use than the Elite 2.0?

More fabric breathability and direct venting translate into the need for layering in colder weather. If I'm 6'0 and 190, should I get XL or L for layering? With alpine jackets, L is sufficient, (XL fit me when I was 240) but bike stuff tends to run tighter.