View Single Post
Old 09-26-09, 12:16 AM
rothenfield1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number indicates 1985 manufacture. The friction New 600EX group corroborates the time frame. Assuming the components are original, that would make this a Bianchi Limited. Around this time, Bianchi pulled the manufacture of several models back from Japan, to Italy, due to the change in value of the Yen. The Limited was one of these models. The serial number is not quite the standard Italian format, but it does resemble the Italian format more than the Japanese. A 70mm wide BB shell and BB cups stamped 36 x 24 TPI would confirm Italian manufacture. The Italian mid-range frames during this period used Bianchi Special tubesets from Columbus.
The off-crank side BB shell has a 36 x 24 T. I measured 70mm on the BB tube. The brakes, BB shell, & crank arms are stamped HI; which, according to the Trek site, translates to Sept 83. I'm freaking amazed at how this 26 year old bike is responding to a rebuild. The wheelset is the most important, and problematic aspect of this bike. The hubs still feel smooth, if a little like mollasses. But, like everything else about this bike, the signs tell me that this bike has never been rebuilt or serviced in 26 years. It's amazing to me how well this golden brown grease has preserved this bike.