Thread: Dynamo!
View Single Post
Old 09-27-09, 11:16 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonbiker
Yeah it works relatively well in the rain. I used it in the rain, today. I guess the traction strip on the Schwalbe tire helps a lot. Without it, I'm sure no rubber-wheeled dynamo would grip adequately.
I had awful experiences with the recent Continental tires that have changed to a very cursory generator track. The dynamo would stop working on any sight of wetness. Continental even had the nerve to advertise this change on their site, claiming that this made their tires look better. This claim is now off, so maybe they started getting heat from customers. In any case, I am not about to get any more of their improved tires as I am more interested in being alive than in satisfying somebody's twisted aesthetic perceptions.

Originally Posted by Moonbiker
I also have to disclaim even riding fast enough for my AXA-HR to hydroplane!
Well, when taking off the rubber grips from handlebars, you can convince yourself that water works as a decent lubricant even when no hydroplaning is involved. No hydroplaning, I believe, was involved in the pyramid construction either.