View Single Post
Old 09-28-09, 01:13 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
Thanks, and good pick up on the lack of stoker hand rests. Actually, Mrs. Ritterview never gets in the drops, her preferred riding stance is more Almira Gulch than Kristin Armstrong. I used the Edge drop handlebars because it was destined for the Edge booth, they were light, and Edge doesn't make a bullhorn.

I figured I'd get Cane Creek Ergo Stoker Levers eventually. I hadn't known how much these weigh until now, they are 230 grams, which is more than the handlebar!

So, I am going to switch out the Edge handlebar for a bullhorn. A bullhorn will be helpful, because spin bikes, with which Mrs. R is quite familiar, are equipped with these. I'd welcome recommendations. The most likely bar I've seen so far is the 205 gram Profile Cobra Wing Aero Base Bar.

I'll have to show this to Mrs. R, who frets that the Red is too dark and 'looks black'. The clear coat has a depth effect, so that where the light reflects it shows red, but without direct light appears darker.

So, are you getting a Tetra or a Dragonfly? If it is $7K you hope to hit, the Dragonfly frame itself (sans paint, sans fork, sans everything) is $6.995K. You can download the spreadsheet I've attached, which might be helpful in terms of calculating weights and prices.

It doesn't help that with a Calfee, you don't have help with OEM purchase of components. Maybe we could get Bikes Direct to purchase Calfee frames, and equip them that way.

If this were built strictly for show, not go, then a lot of things would be different. We'll be doing hills, with which California abounds, and so need the granny gear to handle these. A compact double wouldn't work, because we'd spin out at too low a speed.
I actually bought a pair of the Cane Creek stoker levers myself and was surprised when I received them how heavy they were. I has going to take a drill to the body, but my wife didn't like the shape of them so I have never mounted them. Another option is would be to find some broken Shimano or Campy shifters on ebay. I tried that for a while but was surprised by how much broken shifters are selling for.

It's hard to tell from the lighting, but in one of the pictures the paint looks like its translucent and not opaque. That could explain why it looks dark. I got some photos from another Calfee owner of the opaque red fading to clear carbon and the red looks much brighter.

We are getting the Tetra, and Calfee recently raised the price $600 but they gave me the old price since I had been talking to them prior to the increase. I looked at your spreadsheet but have my own as well.
The only area I wish I could do better is the crankset, I am going with the Gossamer because it so much cheaper and they seem to have worked well for others with the exception of the bottom brackets which I might replace with Chris Kings.