jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by hocker
Its the protein, you are getting too much before the race. I would cut out the bacon and eggs and/or check the ingredients of your gel.

Oatmeal should be fine, or you may want to go with something as simple as bread and honey about an hour before the race, then a gel, non-protein. Some of us can handle more than others, but if you are having problems then keep it simple, keep it white. Boom eats "balls of bread" before races and drinks Coke's. The 1/2 hour after your race is the most important time to eat, and it should be a protein and carb based drink. Either mix one up before hand or buy something like Naked, or simply chocolate milk. After this, let it settle a bit and eat whatever you want.
Ok so you sound like you have a handle on this. So let me ask you this. I typically do two races a day, the Masters and then the Pro/1/2. I can never figure out what to eat between the two races and it's usually about a 2 hour wait. So I drink lots, shoot gels, and ride the trainer and watch the races. Any dietary suggestions for the next race? It's not like I expect to perform in the pro/1/2 races and in fact my goal is usually to not come in last, it's just training for me but still sometimes I feel great and others totally dead and I wonder if a good eating regiment could help.

Sorry OP about the quasi related hijack!